Even though the preparations for this year’s ShowHouse were executed almost exactly as we’d anticipated, I think overall we did somewhat less planning than in the past. Part of that is being busier as a firm, but we’ve also become a little looser and less strict with how we work, which is especially fun during more of an experimental project like this.
For example, this year I used a lot of smaller patterned fabrics on larger scale pieces. In the past, I might have chosen a solid fabric for that purpose, but now I can see how a small pattern functions to ground the space. It adds interest without being overwhelming, and brings the level down a bit from bigger, bolder patterns I used on smaller pieces (like the pillows and chairs).
Now I know I can layer even MORE patterns together in complementary ways…even without taking a space to ShowHouse levels!